Do You Take Your Omega 3’s?
Fish oils are oils extracted from fish and this oil is a concentrated solution of omega-3 EFAs. If you are interested in natural heart health you would know that ‘taking your omega 3’s‘ comes with great health benefits. Fish oils are the best source of omega-3 EFAs.
You could add more omega-3 EFAs to your diet in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). The richest plant sources of ALA are the leaves and seeds of the perilla plants common in North America, Japan, Korea, China and Vietnam.
Green plants and algae also contain ALA as well as linseed oil. However, fats or oil from fish is considered the most important dietary source of omega-3 EFAs because it has concentrated amounts of the ALA derivatives EPA and DHA.
These two nutrients are found almost exclusively in seafood.
Fish oil supplements are meticulously purified to remove heavy metals such as mercury, lead, PCBs and other toxins. This makes fish oils a safe and effective supplement.
Studies shows that many people are eating too many of the wrong fats or oils, such as animal fats (saturated fats) and vegetables (polyunsaturated fats) and need the fish oil to “balance” the family of fat nutrients.
Intake of the wrong kinds of fats should be lowered to total 20 to 30 percent of daily calorie serving while fats found in the oils of certain fish should be appreciably increased.
What Are The Benefits of Taking Fish Oil?
- Fish oil prevents and/or alleviates heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis and migraine, headaches, may be protective against cancer, immune deficiency diseases, kidney disease and others.
- Fish oils also have two special nutrients that protect the heart and arteries, reduce pain, inflammation and swelling, and protect cell membranes. Omega-3 EFAs found in oily fishes are believed to be essential for the healthy development of the brain, retina and more.
- Over the past 30 years more than 7,000 scientific studies have provided evidence supporting the effectiveness of fish oil and omega-3 EFAs in the prevention and treatment of our most common diseases. Hundreds of clinical trials support the efficacy of fish oil’s omega-3 essential fatty acids in preventing, mitigating, and remedying an incredible range of health conditions. Some scientific and medical communities however are resisting to these facts and still support pharmacological treatment.
- As a traditional dietary supplement that encourages good health, fish oil is a preventive medicine but as a natural alternative to NSAIDs or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and other pharmacological and medical treatments, it is considered a complementary medicine. With all the undergoing studies to prove its effectiveness, fish oil is on the threshold of crossing over into traditional Western medicine.
Fish Oil As An Anti-Inflammatory
Inflammation occurs as our body’s natural protective response to fend off any outside aggressors and to begin the process of healing. Its effect on our tissues usually involves pain, heat and redness. However, there are some cases that this outward effect is not visible. Inflammation of the heart has been said to be the real cause of heart disease.
- Inflammation is a double-edged sword as its effect can be helpful or harmful depending on the circumstances. When an inflammation is in chronic state, devastating consequences are likely to happen like arthritis, heart disease or stroke. It usually happens when the cause of inflammation is continually reintroduced or if the acute inflammatory response is not able to eliminate it. This situation is very likely to happen nowadays because of our exposure to implausible amounts of toxins.
Some of these toxins can be avoided like poor food choices, smoking, and prolonged sun exposure. While some things arise from things from things we don’t have control like genetics and accidents.
So what is your safest option if you have inflammation? Research on alternative medicines revealed that certain dietary supplements, such as fish oils supplements, can help reduce levels of pro-inflammatory factors, with significantly lower side effects. One of these dietary supplements is the essential fatty acids or EFAs.
Essential fatty acids are necessary for various aspects of normal physiology such as:
- Dilating and constricting blood vessels and regulating collateral circulation
- Transporting oxygen from red blood cells to the tissues
- Maintaining proper kidney function and fluid balance
- Keeping saturated fats mobile in the bloodstream
- Preventing blood clots and more. (Source: Fish Oil: The Natural Anti-inflammatory by Joseph C. Maroon and Jeffrey Bost).
For this reason, it is very important for over-all health to have a regular intake of foods rich in omega-6 or omega-3 EFAs. The omega-3 pathway, activated by trauma, injury, or chemical stimulus, is the process of converting the omega-3 EFAs found in the cell membranes to various eicosanoids. If the omega-3 EFA components of the cell membranes become dominant, an anti-inflammatory state can result, with preventive health benefits.
Fish oil is the best source of the omega-3 essential fatty acids…perfect for natural heart health.