Healthy Ways to Treat Signs of High Blood Pressure
Many people think that taking prescription medication is the best high blood pressure treatment, but studies show that this is not necessarily true. Usually, people who adopt better lifestyle changes (including dietary revisions – following a high blood pressure diet) see improvement in their numbers within 14 days of altering their routines. Plus you’ll see other side benefits such as weight loss and lower cholesterol levels.
Medication may help you maintain a healthy blood pressure level but simply taking medication without doing anything else to improve your lifestyle will not do anything to lower your blood pressure.
The best way to deal with high blood pressure is to do something about it even during the earliest stages. Too many people ignore the early signs of high blood pressure and do nothing, which is why they end up suffering from dire consequences later on.
At the earliest signs of high blood pressure, you should already start to make some positive changes to your lifestyle — this is the most effective high blood pressure treatment. The exact changes that you have to make will depend on the severity of your condition.
Maintaining a Healthy Blood Pressure
It’s critical for your heart health that you work on achieving and maintaining a healthy blood pressure. The best time to work on this is before you even develop high blood pressure, but if you’ve already been diagnosed, it’s not too late to start.
- First, avoid tobacco. If you’ve never smoked don’t start, and if you’re a smoker or you use smokeless tobacco there’s no time like the present to stop. This is one habit that can cause you to have high blood pressure and many other health problems.
- Make sure that you get regular exercise. It’s recommended that you get thirty minutes to an hour of exercise daily. This doesn’t mean you have to become a gym rat. Even taking a daily walk can do amazing things for your heart health.
- Likewise it’s important to eat a healthy diet. It’s been well documented that a diet low in sodium can help you to maintain healthy blood pressure. It’s important to choose low sodium foods and skip the extra salt on your food – most foods already contain plenty.
- Eating a healthy diet helps you to maintain a healthy weight and can lead to healthy blood pressure too. The best way to maintain a healthy weight through nutrition is to eat lean proteins, lots of fruits and vegetables, and plenty of healthy fats from plant sources.
- Another aspect of achieving and maintaining a healthy blood pressure is managing your stress levels. People who have a high stress lifestyle often have higher blood pressure as well. There are a few things you can do to manage stress.
- Get rid of activities that are really optional. Many people experience stress because they create it by filling life with too many activities. Prioritize and do only those things that are most important.
- Even the best people at time management will still experience some forms of stress. To combat that, you need to work on techniques to minimize the effects of stress. Exercise is one way to do that. You can also practice making sure to get enough sleep each night.
- Meditation and yoga are also helpful activities when it comes to managing your stress. It’s important that you spend time doing activities you enjoy and that allow your mind to de-stress. For example, enjoying a hobby or spending time with friends.
- Increasing your fluid intake is also an effective high blood pressure treatment. The more water you drink, the more efficiently your body will be able to flush out the harmful toxins which can contribute to the rise of your blood pressure. Ideally, you should be drinking 8-10 glasses of water everyday to stay in the peak of health.
As you can see, the best high blood pressure treatment doesn’t have to include the use of artificial medications. By making several positive changes to your lifestyle, you can efficiently lower your blood pressure and avoid so many negative consequences to your health.
Beyond your blood pressure, living a healthy lifestyle can help you to have more energy and look and feel your best.