Table of Article Contents
Guggul Is An Ancient Remedy With Many Health Benefits
So what is Guggul and have you heard it is used to help lower cholesterol levels and promote weight loss? Guggul is a tree native to India which was has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. Guggulsterone is a plant steroid found in the resin of the guggul plant.
Its resin has been used for treating several diseases and its active ingredients are called guggulsterones. Guggulsterones have been found to be beneficial for the following:
The active ingredient known as guggulsterones were found to be effective in preventing the liver from producing excessive amounts of LDL or bad cholesterol.
- It can also help lower total cholesterol levels while increasing your good cholesterol production.
- Studies revealed that guggulsterones can help lower cholesterol levels up to 27% after using it from four to twelve weeks.
- It is also in the same study that health experts were able to confirm the capability of guggulsterones to lower blood triglyceride levels.
Three “double-blind” studies (i.e. the patients and the researchers administering the experiment are not aware about the critical aspects of the study to ensure fair judgment) revealed that those persons who take gugguleterones orally with a daily dosage of 75mg up to 200mg have experienced significant reduction in their levels of triglycerides and cholesterol.
Add to that the improvement of HDL to LDL ratio which is very important in lowering an individual’s risk for cardiovascular and heart diseases. Furthermore, the same double-blind study also revealed that those who take guggulsterone were less likely to have sticky blood platelets thereby making the person less vulnerable to poor circulation, blood clots and stroke.
- Guggul can also be responsible for boosting several thyroid functions in your body which will lead to an improvement in the metabolic rate.
- An individual’s metabolic rate indicates the amount of calories that get burned on a daily basis.
- These active ingredients found in guggul can help promote good circulation of triodothyroxine hormones.
- These are the types of hormones which are secreted by the thyroid gland and which are also found in drugs being used by bodybuilders to help speed up fat loss.
- Thyroid hormones are actively involved in the process of cellular breakdown of carbohydrates, fats and protein.
Those who practice traditional Ayurveda medicine believe that since guggulsterones help in the increase of production of thyroid hormones it can also be beneficial for those people who aim for better weight management.
A clinical study conducted in Swami Prakashananda and Ayurveda Research Centre (SPARC) revealed that 70 obese people who were given guggulsterones experienced significant decrease in their body measurements compared to people who were not given guggulsterones. Today, Ayurvedic practitioners recommend two to four grams of guggul daily, taken with hot water to help lose weight.
Other Health Benefits of Guggul
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center say that guggul is primarily used to lower cholesterol levels but can also be beneficial for weight management. On the other hand, the University of Michigan Helath System also notes that guggul can also be helpful in treating osteoarthritis and in preventing atherosclerosis.
- Guggulsterones should be 10% pure extract for it to be effective and should be taken at a minimum of 50mg daily.
- The benefits of guggulsterones can also be obtained from CholesLo, a clinically proven natural cholesterol lowering supplement. CholesLo contains all natural ingredients.